Inaugurated on the 3rd of March 2001,
Travassos’ Gold Museum is the embodiment of an intention to distinguish
and dignify handcrafted Portuguese goldsmithery.
Travassos has been chosen as the ideal location for the Gold museum given
the fact that a number of workshops are still active, and architectonic
memories of many others abound.
Besides the creation of the historical place and the rehabilitation of
some old workshops, the Museum is also an active institution. It serves
the local community and helps to increase and reveal the traditional knowledge
The idea of a museum had been discussed
since the 1980’s yet the project only entered its most active phase
The museum is the offspring of a local goldsmith’s passion for the
art, and presents us a with a vast collection of gold objects, tools,
furniture, and bibliography, patiently collected by Francisco de Carvalho
e Sousa for more than 50 years. This privately held museum is installed
in a former goldsmith’s workshop, belonging to Casa de Alfena (a
manor house now converted to receive guests). In the same area there are
three other workshops (two of them no longer in use), the earliest of
them dating back to 1742.